RegisterHomeForumsGallerySearchFAQMemberlistLog in
I. Will Be. Paying. 65.5K Refund.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    DOST-SEI Online :: [Scholars and Alumni Community] Forum Index » 2001-Present DOST-SEI scholars View previous topic
View next topic
I. Will Be. Paying. 65.5K Refund.
dgrouch
Freshmen
Freshmen

Post I. Will Be. Paying. 65.5K Refund. Reply with quote
God.

I finally had the courage to go to Bicutan just this afternoon. Once and for all, to settle everything that I would need to do so that I will have the peace of mind knowing that I don't have any unfulfilled obligations. I will be starting on my Monday in my new company. I want to start everything right.

I knew it was coming. I was hoping though that it wouldn't be as bad as it was. Besides, I was in good standing the whole 2 years I've used the scholarship. How bad can it be? I've already worked for 1 yr and 3 months, 9 more months would be a breeze. So after presenting my ID to the guard, I made my way to the scholarships department. After looking around for a few seconds, not knowing who to ask for help, I chanced upon a man who happened to be standing behind the desk where the little pieces of paper that one fills out when he/she needs to do any transaction that concerns the status of the scholarship. I told him my story. I said I didn't know where to start, and I was there to settle everything and finally have a peace of mind. He said "..oh well.. that's a case of abandonment". Crap. That's it. The moment of truth. I was then asked to present my transcript to the lady who was in charge of the records. I used to report to her.

"How come you never reported to us after the second sem?", she said.
"I transferred to another school.", I answered.
"But you were in good standing."
Yep", I said. Silence. "But my grades went down the drain after I transferred", I continued.
When was the last time you reported to us?"
"2nd sem. 2003."
"When did you graduate?"
"Last year. Many subjects were not credited." (I was a 2001, BS awardee)
"We could have done something about this had you reported. We have a coordinator in the school where you transferred to."
Silence.
"How do I go about this?", I asked.
"Well.. the status is.. non-compliance. Refund. You were in good standing before you stopped reporting. We didn't have any reason to terminate your scholarship. You'd have to pay everything you received those 2 years."
"Umm.. around how much would that be..?"
She then computed everything plus the additional 12%.
"That would be around Php65,500.."

I could barely remember anything after that. Only that I should go back with a letter asking if I could be given an extension aside from the 1yr given to be able to pay the refund. It is a pretty hefty amount she said. Indeed it is.

I knew it was coming. I was hoping though that it wouldn't be as bad as it was. Besides, I was in good standing the whole 2 years I've used the scholarship. How bad can it be? I've already worked for 1 yr and 3 months, 9 more months would be a breeze. (Oh no, it wouldn't. Whoever told you that you'd be paying the time you enjoyed the scholarship with service? You'd be paying it in cash boy. In cold. hard. cash.)

I know. I know. Consequences.

Moral:
1. The contract. Young as you are, be aware of the possible consequences. (I was a fresh highschool grad. Gimme that contract, I'll sign it. I can meet your grade requirements, gimme the aid.)

2. Keep in touch with the school coordinator. (I have never met one. I deferred the scholarship on my first year. I didn't even know there was this review camp for freshmen. Remember. I was with my lola when I signed the contract. I availed it on my 2nd year because I wanted to relieve my cousin in the states some burden. She was the one who was sending me to school. Both of my parents have passed away before my 3nd year in highschool, my mother when I was in Grade 4, my father when I was in 2nd year. I was with my 83 yr old lola during the contract signing. She was the only one available. Besides, she's my legal guardian. Yes. She's 90 now. Still living. At home, at the province.)

3. There's the Internet now, you can get all the information you need.

4. Take the initiative.

5. Be patient with the process. (Going to transfer? Failed one subject? Never met the requirement this sem? Ask what should be done. Be patient. The process may ask for a number of requirements, but IT IS the process. It's what should be done.)

I've been pondering on this thought:
So.. had Student A terminated the scholarship on the 1st sem on his/her 2nd year in college (failed the subjects, abandoned the scholarship, and so on), Student A wouldn't have to make a refund, working in our beloved country for a year and a half will do? BUT since I (Student B) was in good standing before I 'abandoned' it, I'd have to pay the whole 2 years, IN CASH? I (Student B) should suffer the consequences but something's not right here.. or is it just me? Can't I (Student B) just serve for a year and half and pay the extra sem? The extra sem that cost me 65.5K cash as compared to Student A's 1.5 years of working here.

Now. How the do I pay that amount of money with the meager salary of a 1yr grad? I decided to avail of the scholarship because of financial issues in the first place.
Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:40 pm View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Jehzeel Laurente
Supreme Quality Rate
Supreme Quality Rate

Post Reply with quote
it seems na.... ahmmmmmmm... it's a very big.. BIG problem Blue_PDT_01_13

E-mail: jehzlau@dostscholars.org
Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:52 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
neolle
Supreme Quality Rate
Supreme Quality Rate

Post Reply with quote
I suggest that you raise this issue to someone with a higher authority, perhaps some arrangements can be made.

www.adaycalledtoday.blogspot.com
www.neolle.i.ph
www.squidoo.com/amazingdavao
www.squidoo.com/tribuhagtik

For Visual Basic programmers visit our forum:
http://www.xtremevbtalk.com
Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:58 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
yatot
Advanced Prime Mover
Advanced Prime Mover

Post Reply with quote
you should have deferred it in the first place before you transferred into another school or university... this is a really BIG problem indeed! i guess wala ka ng magagawa kundi ang magbayad... im so sorry... pag-ipunan mo na lng yan... ako nga 150, 000 pesos ang babayaran ko if ever kong gustong mag-abroad eh...

Please visit my site at: http://yatotchronicles.blogspot.com
I thank you! Bow!
Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:23 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
jr_iskolare
Quality Rate
Quality Rate

Post Reply with quote
holly crap... **screams!!!*************

i think i might pay 90K+ too..OMG!!

waaaaaaaaaaa... heeeeeeeeeeelllllllpppppppppp!!!!

hoping for their kind consideration..

i haven't received a reply with my letter sent last december...

an email sent last month...

T_T

patay ako nito

*sobs*

Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:31 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chris™
Freshmen
Freshmen

Post Reply with quote
how sad.. Blue_PDT_01_13

We do learn from our mistakes,your problem is a good example to other income freshmen dost scholars so they would know what are the do's and dont's in being a dost scholar.
There are many obligation you would think during your contract, rest assure that you always report to the nearest regional dost office so that you can avoid confusions about the contract, and even you would think there's some problem with you.
Don't hesitate to go to the nearest dost office so that you can have an advice or better yet to have a solution to your problem, dost personnel's are willing to help if you cooperate to then, just produce the necessary cmm when you encounter any problems to prove what is your status..

Blue_PDT_01_20
Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:22 pm View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
someday
Freshmen
Freshmen

Post I Pursued Medicine Reply with quote
Hi! I was a DOST scholar but pursued medicine. I am now a licensed doctor but haven't confronted my DOST problem. I have an NBI hit. So I have to come into terms with them sooner or later. Do you guys know if they would allow installment for payment? thanks. Or is working for a government hospital would make any difference? Di ba trabaho rin yan dito sa pinas? thanks.
Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:35 am View user's profile Send private message
neolle
Supreme Quality Rate
Supreme Quality Rate

Post Re: I Pursued Medicine Reply with quote
someday wrote:
Hi! I was a DOST scholar but pursued medicine. I am now a licensed doctor but haven't confronted my DOST problem. I have an NBI hit. So I have to come into terms with them sooner or later. Do you guys know if they would allow installment for payment? thanks. Or is working for a government hospital would make any difference? Di ba trabaho rin yan dito sa pinas? thanks.

This post has been discussed here: http://www.dostscholars.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=674&highlight=

www.adaycalledtoday.blogspot.com
www.neolle.i.ph
www.squidoo.com/amazingdavao
www.squidoo.com/tribuhagtik

For Visual Basic programmers visit our forum:
http://www.xtremevbtalk.com
Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:27 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
peng-peng
Advanced Prime Mover
Advanced Prime Mover

Post Reply with quote
hi! i hope u can answer my question. i was a dost scholar for 2.5 yrs. i had my first failed subject nung 2nd yr-1st sem then had 2 failed subjects again on my 3rd yr-1st sem. i was thinking na, "3 failed subject, wala ng pag-asa." and so hindi na ako nagrereport or nagpapakita sa dost office. after 5 yrs, natapos ko yung course ko and eventually land a job na related lang din sa course na natapos ko.
eto yung question ko, babayaran ko ba yung 2.5 yrs. na naenjoy ko yung scholarship ng dost o ok na i'd pay through working (related to my course)?

hope to hear from u guys soon. thanks! :D

Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:34 pm View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
mem_on
Professional Data Analyst

Post Reply with quote
dapat sana eh may DOST official na kasali sa forum para maaddress agad lahat ng concerns natin...

Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:06 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
peng-peng
Advanced Prime Mover
Advanced Prime Mover

Post Reply with quote
oo nga. para yung mga pasaway na tulad ko eh dito muna mapapagalitan. lol.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:10 pm View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
mem_on

Post Reply with quote
geh... email natin si admin... haha.. Blue_PDT_01_07

Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:16 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
peng-peng
Advanced Prime Mover
Advanced Prime Mover

Post Reply with quote
ahahha! cge2, pero ikaw ang mag-eemail sa kanila. ahaha! :P

Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:38 pm View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
mem_on

Post Reply with quote
ngeh.. ikaw na po... ang admin naman ay si JHL, si jehzeel h. laurente at si administrator... lagi yata yung online.. i-email mo.. haha..

Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:13 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
mem_on

Post Reply with quote
peng-peng, graduate ka na ba???

Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:19 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    DOST-SEI Online :: [Scholars and Alumni Community] Forum Index » 2001-Present DOST-SEI scholars All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: