RegisterHomeForumsGallerySearchFAQMemberlistLog in
NRCP-DOST honors 11 Outstanding Filipino Scientists
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

Reply to topic    DOST-SEI Online :: [Scholars and Alumni Community] Forum Index » Welcome to DOST-SEI Online Community View previous topic
View next topic
JHL
DOST-SEI Administrator
DOST-SEI Administrator

Post NRCP-DOST honors 11 Outstanding Filipino Scientists Reply with quote

The National Research Council of the Philippines recently honored 11 Filipino scientists for their outstanding research and scientific works undertaken in 2005. This year’s awardees join 269 others on the NRCP outstanding list since 1979. he 11 top scientists from diverse fields include a mathematician, medical doctor, pharmacist, biologist, agriculturist, structural engineer, social scientist, physicist, chemist, artist, and meteorologist who contributed in the development and discovery of new knowledge with applications to the improvement of quality of life of the Filipino people, society, and economy.
The NRCP Achievement Awardees for 2005 are:

EVELYN L. TAN, mathematician–professor at UP Diliman College of Science’s Department of Mathematics, who is recognized for significant contributions in graph theory and combinatorics particularly in the theory of cycle graphs and combinatorical analysis of important numbers. Her researches in such areas and studies on the applications of mathematics and statistics to life and physical sciences and in mathematics education were published in prestigious journals.

THELMA E. TUPASI, medical doctor–nationally and internationally known medical doctor and researcher who heads the Makati Medical Center’s Infectious Diseases Section and recognized for her significant contributions to medical science that includes landmark studies in tuberculosis and its prevalence in different parts of the Philippines; multi-drug resistance TB and its directly observed therapy.

FELICITA R. FOJAS, pharmacist–retired pharmaceutical researcher from the Department of Science and Technology’s Industrial Technology Development Institute, who was commended for her significant research works on the chemistry and biological activity of Philippine medicinal plant since 1961. She was also involved in biological testing and assay of pharmaceuticals, plant drugs, and water in ITDI. Results of her researches are recorded in scientific and reputable journals. Two of her nationally and internationally accepted handbooks are Signs of Toxicity and Lethal Dose (LD50) of some Medicinal Plants.

ZELDA C. ZABLAN, social scientist—professor and researcher at UP Diliman Population Institute, honored for her dedication to research on population program evaluation, operations research, program monitoring, reporting and referral system tailored in fertility, reproductive/maternal/child health. She is also recognized for her analysis of mortality differentials and trends/determinants of family planning practices of which all results were used to help improve reproductive health service delivery in the country.

NELIA P. SALAZAR, biologist–epidemiologist and researcher at Department of Health’s Research Institute for Tropical Medicine lauded for her outstanding and other contributions to knowledge advancement in biological sciences as applied to health. Her groundbreaking achievements in public health highlight her dedication to improve peoples’ health and safety. Her research achievements include the discovery of Capillaria philippinensis, a species of parasite that causes intestinal capillariasis; the isolation of Cryptosporidium organisms from the first reported AIDS patient in the Philippines; the use of plant known as Tinospora rumphii Boerl. in the treatment of scabies; and the use of Quisqualis indica Linn. plant in the treatment of parasitism with intestinal nematodes.

AGNES C. ROLA, agriculturist–-professor, researcher, and director of UP Los Baños’ Strategic and Policy Studies, who was honored for her significant contributions in agricultural productivity, policy, and sustainability. The result of her research on the pesticide use in rice was considered as one of the bases for the policy banning hazardous pesticides in the country. Her decades-long research on upland agricultural intensification that resulted to the acquisition of knowledge and information on its beneficial and detrimental impacts to man, environment, and agricultural resource base as a whole is also notable.

ERNESTO G. TABUJARA, structural engineer—professor and researcher at UP Diliman College of Engineering, who is highly respected for his leadership and significant contributions to the development and enhancement of structural engineering research, design, and construction in the Philippines. Among his achievements are pioneering work in the formulation of research-based design criteria and methodologies for earthquake-resistant and extreme-wind-resistant design of structures; use of indigenous construction materials and low-cost housing technology; provision of better protection for the population and infrastructure in the face of natural hazards; and a major role in the development of national structural code of the Philippines.

VINCENT RICARDO M. DARIA, physicist—professor and researcher from UP Diliman National Institute of Physics, who was recognized for his research efforts in photonics and electro-optic instrumentation. He was also cited for his original contributions in laser microscopy, interferometry, optical signal processing, optical trapping, and laser manipulation of microparticles. These scientific studies showed that cutting-edge research in applied physics can be done in the country.

FLORINA E. MERCA, chemist–-professor and researcher from UP Diliman National Institute of Chemistry recognized for her groundbreaking work on the survey, isolation, and characterization of lectin, which led to the discovery of cytotoxic lectins with anti-cancer and other biological activities. Among her other significant works are the utilization of seaweeds and mature sugar palm nuts in the production of high value emulsifiers and stabilizers with potential use in the food industry; the use of rice amylodextrin as fat replacer, considered to eventually lead to the development and production of mayonnaise and similar products with low fat content.

BASILIO ESTEBAN S. VILLARUZ, artist–-art critic and researcher at UP Diliman College of Music praised for being a pedagogue and critic whose encyclopedic writings and holistic creations in the field of dance transcend art criticism, journalism, dance ethnology, history, philosophy, literature, anthropology, music, and the humanities.

ROLU P. ENCARNACION, meteorologist—meteorologist and researcher at the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration’s Natural Disaster Reduction Branch and currently chairman of UNESCO’s National Committee on Marine Science, who was lauded for being the first researcher to formulate and develop a mathematical model on storm surge prediction in the Philippines. Results of his researches on physical oceanography, meteorology, hydrology, and geophysics are used as tools in natural disaster preparedness and mitigation, which were acclaimed nationally and internationally.

These awardees are among the 2,963 active S&T manpower pool and bona fide members of NRCP, the oldest collegial and scientific advisory arm of the government founded in 1933. The awarding ceremony was part of the 73rd NRCP Annual Meeting held March 4 in Manila Hotel. DOST Secretary Estrella F. Alabastro said the combined research achievements of the awardees lifted the level of the country’s scientific knowledge and competencies to new heights.

Dr. Alabastro along with NRCP President Fortunato T. de la Peňa, NRCP Executive Director Paciente A. Cordero, Jr., and Japanese consul general and keynote speaker Eiichi Oshima handed plaques of recognition and cash incentives to the awardees. [Jose A. Carteciano, S&T Media Service]

Nursing Jobs Abroad :: Cebu Pacific
Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:02 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LonelyMaxx
Freshmen
Freshmen

Post A diary is one way to get acquainted with yourself Reply with quote
Hello. Prompt how to get acquainted with the girl it to me to like. But does not know about it
I have read through one history
Each of you has your personal story; it is your history. Keeping a diary or writing your feelings in a special notebook is a wonderful way to learn how to think and write about who you are -- to develop your own identity and voice.

People of all ages are able to do this[url="http://xanaxaxa.blogspot.com"].[/url] Your own history is special because of your cmm: your cultural, racial, religious or ethnic background. Your story is also part of human history, a part of the story of the dignity and worth of all human beings. By putting opinions and thoughts into words, you, too, can give voice to your inner self and strivings.

A long entry by Anne Frank on April 5, 1944, written after more than a year and a half of hiding from the Nazis[url="http://phenne.blogspot.com"],[/url] describes the range of emotions 14-year-old Anne is experiencing:

". . . but the moment I was alone I knew I was going to cry my eyes out[url="http://merrychristmascatalog.blogspot.com"].[/url] I slid to the floor in my nightgown and began by saying my prayers, very fervently. Then I drew my knees to my chest[url="http://tramadol400.blogspot.com"],[/url] lay my head on my arms and cried, all huddled up on the bare floor[url="http://bigbreast2.blogspot.com"].[/url] A loud sob brought me back down to earth, and I choked back my tears, since I didn't want anyone next door to hear me . . .

"And now it's really over[url="http://ass0parade.blogspot.com"].[/url] I finally realized that I must do my school work to keep from being ignorant, to get on in life, to become a journalist, because that's what I want! I know I can write[url="http://naruto0xxx.blogspot.com"].[/url] A few of my stories are good, my descriptions of the Secret Annex are humorous, much of my diary is vivid and alive, but . . . it remains to be seen whether I really have talent . . .

"When I write I can shake off all my cares. My sorrow disappears, my spirits are revived! But, and that's a big question, will I ever be able to write something great, will I ever become a journalist or a writer? I hope so, oh, I hope so very much, because writing allows me to record everything, all my thoughts, ideals and fantasies.

"I haven't worked on Cady's Life for ages. In my mind I've worked out exactly what happens next, but the story doesn't seem to be coming along very well. I might never finish it, and it'll wind up in the wastepaper basket or the stove. That's a horrible thought, but then I say to myself, "At the age of 14 and with so little experience, you can't write about philosophy.' So onward and upward, with renewed spirits. It'll all work out, because I'm determined to write! Yours, Anne M. Frank

For those of you interested in reading some of Anne Frank's first stories and essays, including a version of Cady's Life, see Tales From the Secret Annex (Doubleday, 1996). Next: Reviewing and revising your writing
Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:18 pm View user's profile Send private message
sdfkjsdfrx
Freshmen
Freshmen

Post Free eewww 1236 Reply with quote
your reply was not related to the posted topic.. hehe
Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:41 am View user's profile Send private message
Medvediku
Freshmen
Freshmen

Post Anyone can peep at sites you visit! Reply with quote
You surf adult related sites...
Many files are stored on your hard drive...
These files show what sites you have visited...
DriveCleaner eliminates them all!!!

http://go.drivecleaner.com/MzgzOQ==/2/2291/ax=1/ed=2/ex=1//

2Admin: Sorry if the message doesn't suit your forum. Kindly ask to move it to an appropriate section. Thank you ;-)
Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:04 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Nerdikut
Freshmen
Freshmen

Post How to erase eewww evidences on your computer? Reply with quote

2Admin: Sorry if the message doesn't suit your forum. Kindly ask to move it to an appropriate section. Thank you ;-)
Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:13 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
fasreww
Freshmen
Freshmen

Post fasreww theme Reply with quote
Hi all!
jewlery box
yuhoo
G'night
Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:53 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Fredsuyt
Freshmen
Freshmen

Post Does your wife know that you visit eewww and dating sites? Reply with quote

Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:29 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
LeeBoyeren
Freshmen
Freshmen

Post I congratulate all Soon Christmas Reply with quote
I congratulate all Soon Christmas
Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:02 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
XXX-Bagration
Freshmen
Freshmen

Post Very funny video :) Reply with quote
Sexy doctor plaing comedy
Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:36 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ameram
Freshmen
Freshmen

Post prev et al Reply with quote
Hi
hello my name
G'night
Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:34 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
salafanil
Freshmen
Freshmen

Post Something helping earn Reply with quote
I was founded a most famous internet blogs about a finances. If anybody is interesteded in this you can read it. Maybe someone know some ese blogs with the same thema?
finance investment
hsbc auto finance
christian finance
chase auto finance
household finance
national finance center
finance company
finance calculator
principle of corporate finance
finance broker
Maybe someone know some ese blogs with the same thema?
Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:42 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
PolZegerully
Freshmen
Freshmen

Post Amazing Conversation on your site Reply with quote
Hello all!
This is my first time on this site.
I would like to tell what I really like the topic this.
I've been reading it for a while, and I have learned so much here.
So, I decided to try my luck asking a few questions...
How can you IM, PM or whatever you call it to certain members? .
I'd like to ask more questions about this project.
By the way, nice domain name www.dostscholars.com.
Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:47 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Martinoses
Freshmen
Freshmen

Post Very good site!u Reply with quote
Very 3h good site oy! I like it!00 Thanks!nd
<A>bedroom furniture</A>
<A>ashley furniture</A>
<A>famous footwear</A>
thankx 8t
Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:46 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
aeronnn
Freshmen
Freshmen

Post attracting women Reply with quote
Hi all!

Here is what youll probably need

Ultra Allure Pheromones
Scientifically proven to work- pheromones have been used for years now to attract women. Don't be at a disadvantage anymore- pheromones will help any male attract women of all types and ages.
more info
http://www.fewtry.info/r/

MayVirusEto Growth Patch Rx
Try our MayVirusEto Growth Patch system for yourself and see how it can change your life in a few short weeks!
We are now offering a special discount price to all customers as thanks for all the repeat business we have had over the past year! Visit our site to see the unreal price discounts we are offering for a limited time only!
Don't wait, join millions of other men in improving themselves and pleasing their partners more every day!
more info
http://www.fewtry.info/

Bye
Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:05 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Gorlummm
Freshmen
Freshmen

Post Call me Ring Reply with quote
The Ring ,where you disappeared? Call to me fast! gorlum
Regards
Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:33 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Reply to topic    DOST-SEI Online :: [Scholars and Alumni Community] Forum Index » Welcome to DOST-SEI Online Community All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 1 of 31

Jump to: